The first Hebrew School in the United States was founded by Rebecca Gratz in Philadelphia in 1838. The model of an American institution, the Hebrew Sunday school embraced the practice of coeducation and gave American women the first opportunity to teach Jewish subjects. Pictured here is the Congregation B'nai David, Detroit, Michigan, Sunday School graduation, ca. 1948. The four congregational leaders pictured are Mr. Joseph Gorman, President (upper L); Rabbi Eric Greenbaum (lower L); Cantor Hyman Adler (upper R); and Rabbi Joshua Sperka (lower R).