Career and Volunteer Opportunities
A day in the life of the Jewish Women's Archive finds smart people working together creatively and strategically to promote Jewish women's stories and voices to a wide audience; to make connections between the past and present in order to inform the future; and to provide young women with strong, accessible role models. We seek creative thinkers who care about history, feminism, Jewish identity, and activism, and are committed to putting their ideas and passions to work for a vibrant organization with a strong mission.
Browse through jwa.org to explore the largest online repository of information on Jewish women in the world. In addition to compiling and making this rich collection of material accessible, JWA also convenes lively conversation and engages people of all backgrounds through its Book Club, widely-read blog, strong social media presence, public programs, and more.
JWA has a small and diverse staff and is headquartered in a pleasant Brookline neighborhood with easy access to public transportation and affordable parking. Our office atmosphere is lively, friendly, and collegial. Join us!
The Jewish Women's Archive is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Development Assistant is an integral member of the development team, working closely with the Director of Development. S/he will have the opportunity to build her/his skills in all areas of development—from data management to donor relations to campaigns and events. We are seeking candidates who excel in relationship building and also enjoy data analysis; who flourish working both collaboratively and independently. Please note: This is an entry-level position.
- Gift Processing: Enter gifts into the database and process acknowledgements in a timely manner. Reconcile development reports with staff accountant.
- Reports: Pull reports from the database as needed by the Director of Development in preparation for events, board meetings, budgeting, etc.
- Database management: Update and maintain donor database meticulously by uploading new contact information, mailing lists, etc.
- Prospect Research: Research donors and development prospects to prepare Director of Development and Executive Director for meetings and events
- Appeals & Development Writing: Participate in the appeals process with Communications team and coordinate with mailhouse to execute appeals; Draft thank-you letters and other communications as needed.
- Donor stewardship & External Relations: Take calls or respond to emails from donors and board members; provide support for events; manage invitation lists; send welcome packets to new donors; be a positive, helpful representative of JWA at events, meetings, conferences, etc.
- Provide general support to Director of Development
Experience & Qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Well-organized, with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work under tight deadlines
- Fluency with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel; ability to learn database and email platforms; willingness to perform data entry and Internet research
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service. Must be able to work as a member of a team with other staff members, and to be courteous and professional in person, e-mail communication, and on the phone with all those in contact with JWA
- Ability to take initiative in learning, problem-solving, and enhancing donor relations
- Availability to work occasional evenings and Sundays
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Positive outlook and sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree
JWA offers a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as a collaborative, creative, and fun work environment. The office is located in Brookline, MA, a vibrant area of shops and restaurants, convenient to public transportation.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please include the following on JWA’s job application page:
- Current resume
- Cover letter with at least one professional reference
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Career and Volunteer Opportunities." (Viewed on May 29, 2016) <http://jwa.org/aboutjwa/jobs>.