Jewish Women on the Map - South Fort George
Hannah Director and her husband Isidor moved to South Fort George in 1913. Because of the anti-German sentiment at the outbreak of the First World War, Isidor, who had German origins, could not get work. Consequently, the family which included three young children took up a homestead south of town on the Fraser River.
The dirt floor log house must have been an adjustment for Hannah Director who grew up with the conveniences of the city life in Montreal.
Hannah and her family returned to Prince George in 1917. Hannah was the first woman elected as a school trustee in Prince George; in addition she became the Chairman of the Board – quite an accomplishment.
Photo Caption: Hannah Director (right) and her sister Rhonda Goldberg (left) c. 1914. Source: Rosalie (Director) Gorosh; JMABC (L.00036).
Image copyright of Jewish Museum and Archives of BC