Guilt, Health, and the Jewish body - Link Roundup Oct. 20, 2009
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month: "Where you can put your pink ribbons," by Tamar Fox. [MyJewishLearning]
- Marjorie Ingall and Debra Nussbaum Cohen discuss breastfeeding, and the Jewish guilt that comes with failure. [Tablet] [The Sisterhood]
- A "healthy" American appetite for Israeli food is growing. [JTA]
- Schmatta: Rags to Riches to Rags -- HBO's new documentary about the rise and fall of the garment industry and its role in the American Jewish experience. (Don't forget its significance in labor history and women's history!) [Heeb] [Forward]
- The Sisterhood speaks with Air Force Captain Sarah Schechter, 41, who is a chaplain, a Reform rabbi, and a mom. [The Sisterhood]
- The Jewish Women's Archive joins Flickr Commons with a collection of WWII images. [Flickr blog]
- Jon Stewart is baffled by the opposition to Al Franken's bid to end government contracts with companies that prohibit their employees from suing for rape. Personally, I am baffled as to why companies are allowed to do this in the first place. [Feminste]
- I just came across Annie Liebovitz's "Disney Dream" series. Technically they are advertisements for Disney, but they are very beautiful and interesting re-imaginings. [MissGeeky]
- NPR Podcast: Using GPS technology to warn survivors of their abuser's whereabouts. [JWI]
- Elana Sztokman discusses 25-year-old former Gur Hasid Sara Einfeld's writing at "Hor Basadin," literally "A Hole in the Sheet," which she says saved her life. [The Sisterhood]
It's Jewish Body Week on Tablet. Here are some great articles!
- Watch Marjorie Ingall and Rachel Shukert discuss Jewish Body Week and their Jewish bodies in these videos.
- "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes": why we don't see Jewish women in Hollywood. [Tablet]
- Jewish muscle men? [Tablet]
- Josh Lambert discusses books about the Jewish body. [Tablet]
The video below is a spoken word piece by Desdamona called "Too Big for my Skin."