Miriam in the Desert with Alicia Jo Rabins
JWA is thrilled to be partnering with Alicia Jo Rabins, writer, composer, performer, and Jewish educator, to present her new curriculum based on her song cycle about Biblical women, Girls in Trouble. During this online learning program, Alicia introduces the curriculum, and focuses specifically on her lesson about Miriam. The lesson focuses not on Miriam's celebrated moment at the sea, but on a difficult episode later in her life; through art and song, consider how the fullness of Miriam's story might reflect the complexity of your own life. Alicia leads participants through some of the activities featured in the lesson, and, in addition, plays and sings her song about Miriam, live!
- Find condensed versions of the Girls in Trouble lessons on jwa.org.
- Visit the Girls in Trouble website to download expanded versions of these lessons, including rabbinic commentaries and visual art, and to hear more songs about biblical women!
- Learn more about Alicia Jo and her work by visiting her website.
- Enrich your teaching of Miriam with this encyclopedia article from jwa.org.
- Check out this JWA blog post that comments on Miriam’s leprosy and argues that women challenging the ruling establishment is a vital part of the Jewish tradition.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Miriam in the Desert with Alicia Jo Rabins." (Viewed on December 3, 2023) <https://jwa.org/teach/profdev/webinars/2016/miriam-in-the-desert>.