Welcome to the Jewish Women’s Archive!
The Jewish Women’s Archive documents Jewish women’s stories*, elevates their voices, and inspires them to be agents of change.
JWA envisions a world that values the diversity and complexity of Jewish women and gender-expansive people, past and present, learning from their stories and inspiring future generations.
The Jewish Women’s Archive (JWA) is dedicated to expanding and transforming the historical narrative by restoring Jewish women and gender-expansive people to their rightful place.
While Jewish women have always played crucial roles in their communities, for much of history their efforts went largely undocumented. With its dearth of female figures, the traditional Jewish historical narrative not only robbed Jewish women and girls of their past, it also limited the vision of people of all genders about women’s experiences and capacities. JWA explores the past as a framework for understanding the pressing issues of our time; mobilizes young people with remarkable role models; and uses Jewish women’s stories to inspire people to see themselves as history makers.
JWA’s work, at its core, is multigenerational and intersectional. We believe that crafting a more diverse narrative helps create a richer, more complete present and future. JWA intentionally makes space for people of all Jewish traditions and identities, including Jews of Color, LGBTQ+ Jews, Jews with disabilities, and Jews by choice.
Today, JWA is the world’s largest collection of information on Jewish women. Each year, millions of people of all ages, genders, and backgrounds, from more than 230 countries, engage with and rely on JWA’s resources. JWA hosts public programs; trains the thought leaders of tomorrow through the Rising Voices Fellowship; sparks conversation with its blog, podcast, and social media presence; and is a leading voice in feminist and Jewish spheres.
Get involved with JWA!
- Subscribe to our e-newsletters
- Participate in our virtual programming
- Listen to our podcast, “Can We Talk?”
- Read with the JWA Book Club
- Follow “Jewish Women, Amplified,” JWA’s popular online publication on feminism, history makers, and current events
- Use JWA’s teaching resources in a variety of educational settings a variety of educational settings
- Create a tribute to a special woman in your life (and add her to the archive) with We Celebrate
- Find unique merchandise, including the “Feminist History-Makers” series, in the JWA Shop
- Make a donation to support a resource and community like no other
Are you following us on social media?
*JWA embraces expansive understandings of Jewishness and gender. We include Jews from all backgrounds and those who are non-binary, genderqueer, or gender-questioning.