Frequently Asked Questions
What are the goals of the fellowship?
The Jewish community needs female leaders who feel empowered to speak up, to initiate important conversations, and to advocate for their own rights and the rights of others. To become leaders, young Jewish women need role models, community support, and communication tools to enable them to take their rightful place in the world and contribute to the ongoing dialogue about the Jewish future. The Rising Voices Fellowship provides all these things and more.
The goals of the Rising Voices Fellowship are that young Jewish women become active contributors to the Jewish and feminist narratives; that they use their writing to advocate for positive social change; and that they become leaders in their communities and beyond.
What is the time commitment for the fellowship?
Fellows spend approximately 4-6 hours per month on writing, peer editing, and webinars, plus 3 weekend-long retreats in the Boston area. The tentative retreat dates for 2018-2019 are: August 24-26, January 11-13, and June 7-9.
What is the application process?
Applicants are required to submit the following information:
- One reference from a teacher or other adult in a supervisory role.
- A short paragraph answer to why the student wishes to be a part of the fellowship and what she hopes to get out of it.
- Two writing samples on provided topics below.
- Choose a piece of popular culture (a song, TV show, YouTube video, movie, etc.) How do you relate to it as a Jewish young woman? (300-350 words)
- Research a woman on jwa.org who you’ve never heard of before but who interests you. What struck you about her? (300-350 words)
Apply for the Rising Voices Fellowship today!
How much does the fellowship cost?
For 2018-2019, the subsidized cost is $360 per participant.
We are committed to making the program accessible to all, and we will work with you so that cost is not a barrier to participation.
How can I learn more?
If you have additional questions please contact Larisa Klebe, Associate Director of Programs and Education at JWA.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Viewed on November 13, 2018) <https://jwa.org/risingvoices/faq>.