National Council of Jewish Women opens shelter
The New York Section of the National Council of Jewish Women dedicated the first shelter for “homeless and friendless” Jewish women discharged or paroled from New York City and New York state jails on November 25,1917.
Speakers at the dedication included the prominent rabbi Stephen S. Wise and Deaconess Young, who directed another home for “friendless women” in the same neighborhood. Although the home was founded to serve Jewish women, the president of the New York Council section affirmed that “no unfortunate woman of any race, creed or color would be refused aid if she needed it.”
Source: New York Times, November 26, 1917.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "National Council of Jewish Women opens shelter." (Viewed on September 25, 2021) <https://jwa.org/thisweek/nov/25/1917/ncjw>.