Hannah Raises Her Voice with Alicia Jo Rabins
JWA is thrilled to be partnering with Alicia Jo Rabins, writer, composer, performer, and Jewish educator, to present her new curriculum based on her song cycle about Biblical women, Girls in Trouble. During this online learning program, Alicia introduces the curriculum, and focuses specifically on her lesson about Hannah. “Hannah Raises Her Voice” focuses on the moment when Hannah, in despair over her inability to conceive a child, turns to prayer. She asks God directly for what she needs, and by asking, she changes her life. Participants consider how Hannah’s actions might resonate with challenging moments in our own lives – and how Hannah might inspire us to transform difficult situations through the power of asking for help. Alicia leads participants through some of the activities featured in the lesson, and, in addition, plays and sings her song about Hannah, live!
- Find condensed versions of the Girls in Trouble lessons on jwa.org.
- Visit the Girls in Trouble website to download expanded versions of these lessons, including rabbinic commentaries and visual art, and to hear more songs about biblical women!
- Learn more about Alicia Jo and her work by visiting her website.
- Enrich your teaching of Hannah with this encyclopedia article from jwa.org.
- Check out this JWA blog post that focuses on the nature of Hannah’s prayer for a child and identifies her as a precedent-setter.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Hannah Raises Her Voice with Alicia Jo Rabins." (Viewed on December 5, 2023) <https://jwa.org/teach/profdev/webinars/2016/hannah-raises-her-voice>.