Wednesdays in Mississippi: A Documentary Film
These film clips were prepared for the Jewish Women’s Archive by Marlene McCurtis, Cathee Weiss, and Joy Silverman, producers of a full-length documentary on Wednesdays in Mississippi. (See wimsfilmproject.com).
Portraits from Wednesdays in Mississippi, 2010
A Journey South
"WIMS: A Model of Women’s Activism and Social Change," 2010
"Portraits from Wednesdays in Mississippi"
- What stood out to you the most, from what you heard and saw in the film clip?
- What do you think motivated each of these women to take part in WIMS? What, if any, role does being Jewish seem to play in their work?
- How do you think Buddy Mayer and Elaine Crystal represent and defy stereotypes of Northerners and Southerners during the 1960s?
"A Journey South"
- The women shared different perspectives on the danger present. Based on the film clip, how do you think the inherent danger affected their work and their relationships with each other?
- How might you reconcile the civil rights activism of the Southern white Wednesdays women and their fear of/refusal to shake the hand of a black Northern activist?
"WIMS: A Model of Activism and Social Change"
- The WIMS activists worked together across racial, geographic, and class lines, but specifically limited their membership to women. What do the speakers in the film clips see as the significance of women working together?
- Do you find this aspect of their work significant? Why or Why not?
- Rabbi Rachel Cowan says that at the time, she and other activists in SNCC thought that they were more revolutionary than the WIMS women, but that looking back, she sees the WIMS women as just as dangerous, if not more so. How would you evaluate WIMS? What, if anything, do you think was revolutionary and/or dangerous about these women?
- What aspects of the Wednesdays in Mississippi model for activism seem most relevant/applicable today? What aspects seem less relevant/applicable?
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Wednesdays in Mississippi: A Documentary Film." (Viewed on October 7, 2022) <https://jwa.org/teach/livingthelegacy/documentstudies/wednesdays-in-mississippi-documentary-film>.