Etta Lasker Rosensohn devoted herself to social work from an early age, culminating in her work for Hadassah as one of the founders of Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School in Jersusalem. Rosensohn studied at the University of Texas before moving to New York, where she and her sisters, Florina and Loula, trained at the New York School of Social Work. In 1918 they collaborated on a study for the Bureau of Philanthropic Research called Care and Treatment of the Jewish Blind in the City of New York. She and her sisters then joined the National Council of Jewish Women, where Rosensohn chaired the Department of Service to the Foreign-Born and founded the department’s newspaper, The Immigrant. In 1939 she was elected as Hadassah’s representative to the board of Hebrew University, the only female member of the board. She also served on Hadassah’s national board for two decades, chaired Hadassah’s Medical Organization Committee, and served as president of Hadassah from 1952–1953. In 1959 Hebrew University honored her many contributions to Hadassah’s medical work by establishing the Etta Lasker Rosensohn Chair of Bacteriology at their medical school.
More on Etta Lasker Rosensohn
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Etta Lasker Rosensohn." (Viewed on September 24, 2020) <https://jwa.org/people/rosensohn-etta>.