As executive secretary and vice president of the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives in Denver, Seraphine Eppstein Pisko was one of the first women to lead a national Jewish institution. Married at age seventeen to prominent businessman Edward Pisko, Seraphine Pisko was widowed early and began volunteering with local charities in Denver. She served as president of the Hebrew Ladies Benevolent Society and represented the Women’s Club of Denver at the 1899 National Conference of Charities and Corrections in Cincinnati. She then took a position as field secretary (travelling fundraiser) for the National Jewish Hospital, becoming secretary in 1911 and eventually rising to vice president, managing the hospital’s day-to-day operations. She also served as president of the local chapter of the National Council of Jewish Women, organizing a local settlement house and kindergarten, and later served as national director of NCJW. In 1925, the hospital renamed their women’s pavilion in honor of Pisko. Though she retired in 1938, she continued as an honorary officer until her death.
More on Seraphine Eppstein Pisko
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Seraphine Eppstein Pisko." (Viewed on June 26, 2019) <https://jwa.org/people/pisko-seraphine>.