Adele Rosenwald Levy
Philanthropist Adele Rosenwald Levy demonstrated her leadership skills and her passion for the Jewish community when she helped inspire American Jews to donate even more to aid Holocaust survivors than they had given to support the war effort. Born to a wealthy and philanthropic family that believed in giving back, Levy was active in thirty–five charitable organizations and artistic institutions throughout her life. She was the founding vice president of the Wiltwyck School for Boys and was a board member for organizations ranging from Brandeis University to the Museum of Modern Art to the New York City Youth Board. During WWII, she became first chair of the National Women’s Division of the United Jewish Appeal and a board member of the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. She was named Woman of the Year by the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies and Outstanding Jewish Woman of 1946 from the National Council of Jewish Women. Although UJA asked much of its members during the war, Levy ran a fundraising campaign in 1947 that raised an unprecedented $170 million to aid Holocaust survivors whose situation “not even the most pessimistic…had foreseen.”
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Adele Rosenwald Levy." (Viewed on December 10, 2017) <https://jwa.org/people/levy-adele>.