Bertha Szold Levin, the youngest sister of Henrietta Szold, served for sixteen years as the first woman member of the Baltimore City School Board and pushed for the inclusion of working women in Hadassah. Levin earned a BA from Bryn Mawr in 1894 and began work as a Baltimore schoolteacher. In 1901 she married Louis H. Levin, an attorney, with whom she had five children. When Louis began editing the Baltimore Jewish Comment, Bertha assisted him by writing and translating articles. From 1924–1940 she served on the Baltimore City School Board, the first woman to do so. Levin was also active in Hadassah, the Zionist organization founded by her sister Henrietta Szold, and was later named vice president of Hadassah. Through them, Levin travelled to Palestine in 1933 and 1939 to work with refugees. She also founded the Business and Professional Women’s Group of Hadassah’s Baltimore chapter in 1920, which focused on enabling working women to join the organization.
More on Bertha Szold Levin
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Bertha Szold Levin." (Viewed on March 1, 2021) <https://jwa.org/people/levin-bertha>.