Adele Lewisohn Lehman’s career as a philanthropist and organizational leader spanned both the Jewish community and the secular world. Married to investment banker Arthur Lehman of Lehman Brothers in 1901, Lehman volunteered her time to charities like the Service for the Orthopedically Handicapped and Purple Box, which sold goods made by disabled women. She also served as president of the East Side Free School for Crippled Children, director of the Adoption Bureau, and board member of the New York Board of Charities, as well as founder of the Arthur Lehman Counseling Service. In the 1940s she spent several years as vice president of the League of Women Voters and became a board member for the Philharmonic Symphony Society of New York in 1947. Known for her work as honorary chair of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, Lehman also served on the board of the Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society and other Jewish causes. In 1957 her gift to Barnard College established Adele Lehman Hall. Aside from her extensive charitable work, Lehman was a competitive tennis player in her youth and won thirty-eight championships.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Adele Lewisohn Lehman." (Viewed on June 24, 2019) <https://jwa.org/people/lehman-adele>.