C. Marian Kohn
Despite being legally blind from childhood due to cataracts, C. Marian Kohn worked tirelessly to help others in need, from orphans and immigrants to people with disabilities. Kohn attended the Overbrook School for the Blind and the Neff School of Oratory, and eventually earned a certification from the Pennsylvania School of Social Work in 1934. In 1907 Kohn’s first job as house mother at the Industrial Home for Jewish Girls lasted only two weeks before she was promoted to superintendent. By 1911 she was director of clubs and classes at the Neighborhood Centre, a Jewish settlement house, and in 1917 she became the Centre’s head worker. From 1925–1934 she served as founding executive director of the Orphan Guardian Society, then began work as supervisor of the Blind Pension Fund. In 1937 she turned to advocacy as a consultant on blindness for the Pennsylvania Department of Assistance. She retired in 1955.
More on C. Marian Kohn
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "C. Marian Kohn ." (Viewed on November 22, 2019) <https://jwa.org/people/kohn-c-marian>.