Regina “Kappy” Kaplan helped break down gender barriers in medicine by creating the first nursing school in the South that admitted male students. Kaplan graduated first in her class of twelve from Denver’s Mercy Hospital Training School for Nurses in 1908. She briefly joined the Red Cross in 1915 and in 1916 became superintendent and administrator of the Leo N. Levi Hospital in Hot Springs, Arkansas, where she continued to work throughout her career developing the hospital’s nursing school. In 1917 she set up a local Red Cross chapter, teaching classes in home nursing and first aid, encouraging the development of a free public health nursing program, and serving as executive secretary until 1945. She chaired the National Rehabilitation Association in the State Hospitals in 1928 and from 1945–1946 she served as vice president of the American Hospital Association. Kaplan served as the founding president of the Lakewood Convalescent Home from 1946–1953. She was active in Temple Beth Israel as a board member and choir director. She was also president of the Federation of Church Women from 1943–1945. In 1944, she was honored for her many contributions to nursing with a brunch at the White House.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Regina Kaplan." (Viewed on January 20, 2019) <https://jwa.org/people/kaplan-regina>.