Anna Kaplan helped transform nursing in Israel by holding it to the best standards of medical care from around the world. Kaplan earned a degree in nursing from Lebanon Hospital in 1910 and worked as a night supervisor there for several years before shifting to public health nursing in New York City from 1914–1918. In 1920 she made Aliyah and began work as director of Hadassah’s nursing school and nursing supervisor at hospitals and clinics in Jerusalem, Jaffa, Haifa, Safed, and outlying settlements. By 1927 she was responsible for three hundred nurses at various Hadassah institutions. She translated materials to create the first Hebrew–language manual on nursing, created the regulations for the nursing school, helped graduates in Palestine take the licensing exams for New York State, and proposed a university program in nursing. Leading by example, she returned to New York to earn degrees in hospital management and public health from Columbia University’s Teacher’s College. Kaplan resettled in New York in 1927 and continued to work with Hadassah. From 1928–1937 she served as directress of nurses at Beth Moses Hospital in Brooklyn.
More on Anna Kaplan
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Anna Kaplan." (Viewed on October 16, 2019) <https://jwa.org/people/kaplan-anna>.