One of the few women journalists to work in Israel before the founding of the state, Bracha Habas became beloved for her work as a writer and editor of children’s literature. The Habas family made Aliyah in 1908, eventually settling in Neve Shalom, near Jaffa. Because there were no religious schools for girls in the area, Habas and her sisters were allowed a secular education, and in 1919 Habas joined the Socialist-Zionist group Ahdut ha-Avodah, through which she developed classes and programs for women workers and children in Tel Aviv and various moshavs. After a year studying pedagogy at Leipzig University in Germany, she returned to Tel Aviv in 1927 and taught for six years at the Women’s Teacher’s Seminary and its model elementary school while writing regularly for the Devar newspaper. In 1931 she helped found the newspaper’s children’s supplement, Devar le-Yeladim, and in 1935 she formally joined Devar’s editorial board, as well as the board of Devar ha-Po’elet, a women’s paper. While juggling all of these, she became an editor and writer for Am Oved Publishing in 1940, creating books for children and adults on the Holocaust, Settlement, Youth Aliyah, and the creation and development of the State of Israel. Her final book was published posthumously in 1969.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Bracha Habas." (Viewed on June 18, 2018) <https://jwa.org/people/habas-bracha>.