A lifelong philanthropist and cofounder of the Guggenheim Foundation, Florence Shloss Guggenheim supported arts and music, including free concerts in Central Park. Guggenheim worked to sell Liberty Bonds during WWI both individually (she reportedly held the record for individual sales) and as director of the National League for Women’s Service. She was the founding treasurer of the Women’s National Republican Club from 1921–1938 and later served on its board of governors. In 1924 the Guggenheim family created its eponymous foundation to better coordinate their philanthropy, and Florence Guggenheim served as president and a director. Guggenheim and her husband were long-time supporters of the arts, sponsoring free outdoor concerts in Central Park and at Columbia and NYU. After her husband’s death in 1930, Guggenheim continued funding the concerts in his memory, and in 1937 she was honored by the American Bandmasters Association for her support of music in America. In memory of her husband’s lifelong enthusiasm for aviation, Guggenheim donated her 162–acre estate to the Institute of the Aeronautical Sciences for research and study in 1942.
More on Florence Shloss Guggenheim
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Florence Shloss Guggenheim." (Viewed on November 21, 2019) <https://jwa.org/people/guggenheim-florence>.