One of the foremost biblical archaeologists of her generation, Trude Krakauer Dothan made her mark in 1971 when she helped lead the first Israeli archaeological excavation conducted abroad, which was in Greece. Dothan’s family made Aliyah in 1924, when she was a baby, and she was raised in Jerusalem. While studying at Hebrew University in the 1940s, she participated in several digs, then served in the mapping and photography division of the IDF from 1948–1950 before earning her MA in 1950. She studied briefly at the University of Chicago and the University of London before earning her doctorate from Hebrew University in 1961. She then began teaching at Hebrew University’s Institute of Archaeology while co-directing numerous important digs both within and outside Israel’s borders, looking for evidence of the ongoing interactions of Egyptian, Canaanite, Israelite, and Philistine cultures. Her discoveries have ranged from fortified Egyptian posts along roads, and a flourishing Philistine city within ancient Israel’s borders. In 1985 she became the Eliezer Sukenik Chair of Archaeology at Hebrew University and later the head of the Berman Center of Biblical Archaeology. Dothan won the Israel Prize in 1998, and a lecture series in Near East studies was established in her honor at Hebrew University, fostering dialogue between Israeli, Palestinian, and international scholars.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Trude Dothan." (Viewed on June 24, 2018) <https://jwa.org/people/dothan-trude>.