The Book of Separation
by Tova Mirvis
- The “separation” of the title refers most clearly to Mirvis’s marriage and her Orthodox faith. What other kinds of separation does she explore?
- Mirvis experiences many losses in the book. Discuss what she gains.
- Writing is an important part of Mirvis’s identity. Discuss how her writing both helps and hinders at different points in her process of separation.
- Mirvis struggles with the rules of Orthodoxy and with the sense that she is “bad” if she doesn’t follow them. Have you ever chosen to break the rules (and be “bad”) for something you believe is more important?
- “Home” is a recurring theme in the book. What are some of the different kinds of home Mirvis writes about? What is your definition of home?
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Discussion Questions ." (Viewed on June 14, 2021) <https://jwa.org/node/23816>.