Marchers Photograph: Discussion Questions - Description
- What is going on here? What do you see that makes you say that?
- What do the slogans on the placards suggest to you? How are they the same or different from what you remember of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech?
- Why do you think the photographer framed the picture the way he/she did? How would the effect have been different if the man with his back to the camera had been left out? How would the effect have been different if the photographer had zoomed in on only a few people in the front row?
- Based on what you see in this photograph, what specific demands did the civil rights activists at the March on Washington have?
- If you made some predictions about the goals of the marchers, based on the March on Washington button on the previous page, how accurately did your predictions match the demands on signs in this photograph?
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Marchers Photograph: Discussion Questions - Description." (Viewed on April 26, 2017) <https://jwa.org/node/11920/lightbox2>.