Jewish girls are easy, Jewish boys do a calendar shoot, and other Jewish gender stories
- If you have ever wanted to support a project called Jewish Girls are Easy, now is your chance to get in on the ground floor. Columbia MFA student Charlotte Glynn is raising money to create a short comedy about Passover. Tova, the fiesty protagonist, tries to host a seder despite a vanished brother, a missing brisket, a hickey shaped like the Virgin Mary, a one-night-stand who thinks he’s witnessed a miracle and will not leave her side, and interference from drug dealers. This sounds like it could possibly be the best Passover film since When do we eat? (Hat tip to Yo Yenta)
- The 2012 Nice Jewish Guys Calendar is out. I continue to have mixed feelings about the terms "nice Jewish boy" and "nice Jewish girl."
- The brainchild of former Titus Andronicus guitarist Amy Klein, feminist rock collective Permanent Wave gathers a powerful music scene around a core of activism. Learn more at Tablet.
- The Women’s International Zionist Organization is urging consumers to boycott sexy Purim costumes. Meanwhile, Elissa Strauss defends our right to dress immodestly.
- Cantor Deborah Jacobson writes about her experience facilitating JWI’s Strong Girls, Healthy Relationships curriculum with 8th grade girls for the past 5 years at Temple Ahavat Shalom, Palm Harbor, Florida. She asks, "If we don’t talk about these issues, how can we help our girls identify warning signs and prevent dating violence and abuse?"
- Check out the latest episode of TJC's Salon, hosted by the Forward’s Jane Eisner, with Rachel Sklar of Change The Ratio. This episode features Gaby Dunn (NY Times Magazine, 100interviews.com), Nancy Kaufman (National Council of Jewish Women), and Jennifer Laszlo Mizrahi (The Israel Project). Below is the web promo; more clips here.
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Jewish girls are easy, Jewish boys do a calendar shoot, and other Jewish gender stories." 21 February 2012. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on December 7, 2016) <https://jwa.org/blog/jewish-girls-are-easy-jewish-boys-do-calendar-shoot-and-other-jewish-gender-stories>.