September 29, 2009
Yiddische mamas, Anne Frank, and why women have sex - Link Roundup Sep. 29, 2009
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was released from the hospital Friday, went back to work that afternoon. [Washington Post]
- From "Yiddische Mama" to "Jewish Mother:" Philogos discusses this linguistic and cultural shift. [Forward]
- France joins the U.K. in the push to put health warning labels on airbrushed photographs of women to promote healthier body image in young women. What a great idea! [Daily Mail]
- Disney turns down David Mamet's screen adaption of The Diary of Anne Frank because it was "too dark." Heeb says, "Apparently they were hoping Mamet would deliver a script filled with dancing Jews and singing mice. Instead, he turned Anne Frank into a modern day Jewish girl traveling to Israel to learn about the traumas of suicide bombings." [The Wrap] via [Heeb]
- There's no crying in baseb- I mean, politics! Two bloggers debate the use and permittance of tears in politics. [The New York Times]
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer is hilarious at The Center for the Advancement of Women benefit honoring Faye Wattleton, CFAW co-founder and president. [Forward]
- The Navy is looking to allow women on submarines. [Washington Post]
- Roman Polanski is finally arrested for raping a 13 year old girl in 1977, a crime he admitted to in a plea bargain before leaving the country. The film industry seems to be defending him. In response, the feminist community would like to remind everyone: he raped a child. Feministing has an excellent link roundup of posts and articles on this story. [Feministing]
- Some interesting reads on Tablet's bookshelf: Abby Sher recounts her battles with obsessive-compulsive religious devotion, with eating disorders, and with the compulsion to cut in her memoir, Amen, Amen, Amen, and Torah Queeries explains how the Torah become a sourcebook for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender activism and thought. [Tablet]
- "237 Reasons Why Women Have Sex." I'm not sure if this study is progressive, or offensive. What do you think? [Alternet]
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Yiddische mamas, Anne Frank, and why women have sex - Link Roundup Sep. 29, 2009." 29 September 2009. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on April 20, 2019) <https://jwa.org/blog/dlr9-29-09>.
Subscribe to Jewish Women, Amplified and get blog updates in your inbox.