Gloria Steinem speaks at OMEGA and more - Link Roundup Sep. 14, 2009
Gloria Steinem, a "Jewess with attitude" if I ever saw one, spoke at the OMEGA Women & Power conference on Sep. 11th. Feministing has a few posts about her talk to check out. The theme of the conference was connecting across generations, and I absolutely love what Steinem had to say on that subject. She rebukes the misconception that young women don't care about feminism, and of course, she doesn't hold back.
The following quotes are taken from this Feministing post.
"The stereotype about young women is that they're ungrateful and inactive - this is utter bullshit."
"More young women identify as feminists than older women, yet we're led to believe the opposite is the case."
In response to a question of if she was surprised by the way young women dress, Steinem reportedly said, "Well I wore miniskirts and a button that said 'c*nt power,' so..."
For more on Gloria Steinem, visit the JWA Feminism exhibit.
And for interesting stories of other Jewish women, look no further than this Monday morning link roundup.
- Last week I discovered Nice Jewish Girls Gone Bad. This week it's Nice Jewish Girls, a group for Jewish lesbian women who share "the commonality of Jewish and gay culture." [Jewish Exponent]
- Bat Mitzvot behind bars: two women at the California Institution for Women celerate B'not Mitzvah. The ceremony was well attended by memebers of the Jewish community. [Jewish Journal]
- Haredi and out of the closet: Chani Getter's unorthodox journey. [The Forward]
- Does parenthood make women more liberal and men more conservative? A new study seems to suggest it does. [NCSU]
- Orthodox women corner the de-lousing market. [Tablet]
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Gloria Steinem speaks at OMEGA and more - Link Roundup Sep. 14, 2009." 14 September 2009. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on February 18, 2019) <https://jwa.org/blog/dlr9-14-09>.