Jewish Women's Archive - Living the Legacyhttp://jwa.org/LivingtheLegacy
Jewish Radicalism and the Red Scare
- American Jewish culture in the 20th century was shaped by radical politics and its backlash.
- American Jews in the entertainment industry shaped American popular culture in the first half of the 20th century.
- What is the relationship between Jewish immigrants and radical politics in the early 20th century? Why were so many radicals Jewish?
- What was the role of radicalism in creating an American Jewish secular identity?
- What was the impact of McCarthyism on American Jewish secular identity?
- What was the role of Jewish creative labor in shaping American popular culture, such as the movie industry?
- Copies for each student of the Lesson 7 Introductory Essay
- Copies for each student of the Lesson 7 Document Study and Handout (optional)
- Technology set-up for showing film clips in the classroom, if this is not assigned as homework
- Technology for making videos, unless students will only write screenplays and perform them in class live
- Paper, pens, and markers for storyboards
- Costumes and props (may be brought in by students)