Jewish Women's Archive - Living the Legacyhttp://jwa.org/LivingtheLegacy
Civil Disobedience: Freedom Rides
- Civil disobedience was an important tool of the Civil Rights Movement.
- "Ordinary" people can effect change.
- What is civil disobedience and how was it practiced in the Civil Rights Movement?
- What led young people to participate in the Civil Rights Movements and what sacrifices did they make?
- Chalk board, white board, or chart paper
- Copies of Scenario Worksheet
- Gandhi's Rules of Civil Disobedience (ideally copied on the reverse side of the Scenario Worksheet)
- Copies of Document StudyDocument StudyDocument StudyDocument StudyDocument Study
- Excerpts from Boston Globe articles on Judy Frieze's experience as a Freedom Rider
- Scanned copy of one of the original Boston Globe articles on Judith Frieze's experience as a Freedom Rider (part 2 of 8)
- Optional: video camera
- Optional: computer with wireless access, speakers, and projector, or Smart Board
- Poster board or construction paper
- Art supplies