Primary Sources & Lesson Plans
Despite early differences with respect to strategy, after 1900 most advocates for womens rights pursued a unified and coordinated effort to gain the vote, suffrage. The majority agreed that a Constitutional amendment was the best approach, and they integrated activities on local, state, and federal levels.
1. Identify the major arguments this pamphlet presents against giving women the vote. Are these points ideologically consistent with one another?
2. About what do those opposed to giving women the vote seem most afraid?
3. Identify the connection made here between the vote and household activities. Why did the Association make these connections?
4. Why have some hints been placed in the Housewives! category and others in Spot Removers?
5. Do you think this pamphlet helped or hurt the cause of those who opposed womens suffrage?
6. Why do you think pamphlets author chose to put a house on its front cover?
How to Cite This Page