Trude Weiss-Rosmarin made great advances for women’s involvement in Jewish life through the schools she created and her editorship of the Jewish Spectator. Weiss-Rosmarin created and ran a Hebrew-language school at age seventeen and studied at Franz Rozenzweig’s Frei Judische Lehrhaus before earning a doctorate in Semitics, archaeology and philosophy at the University of Würzburg at age twenty-two. Upon moving to New York, she and her husband established the School of the Jewish Woman in 1933. In 1935, she also published a school newsletter which became the Jewish Spectator and which had a great impact on the thinking of rabbis and Jewish professionals. The quarterly included fiction, poetry, and articles as well as Weiss-Rosmarin’s editorials, which discussed Zionism, the lack of accountability in fundraising drives, suggested changes to Jewish education, arguments for women’s involvement in Jewish ritual, and critiques of Jewish feminism. Weiss-Rosmarin also created a series of inexpensive books called the Jewish People’s Library, lectured extensively throughout the US, and taught at both NYU and the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College. She served as vice president of the National Association of Biblical Instructors and national co-chair of education for the Zionist Organization of America.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Trude Weiss-Rosmarin." (Viewed on April 29, 2016) <http://jwa.org/people/weiss-rosmarin-trude>.