Bertha Beitman Herzog
Bertha Beitman Herzog’s leadership of women’s organizations in Cleveland created a safety net for women and children throughout the region. Herzog moved to Cleveland Heights, Ohio in 1900, shortly after her marriage, and slowly became involved in volunteer work. She headed the immigration department of the local Council for Jewish Women from 1908–1909 and chaired the League of Women Voters of Cleveland’s international relations committee. She led the local CJW from 1920–1924 and helped it rejoin the National Council of Jewish Women. While in office, she also created a monthly bulletin and a Jewish Big Sister Association to help Jewish women and girls. In 1924 she became chair of the NCJW’s committee on communal and civic affairs. From 1928–1930 she served as the first woman president of the Jewish Welfare Federation in Cleveland. In 1928 she also founded the Maternal Health Association (a birth control clinic) and served on their board through the 1940s. She helped found the Cooperative League of Jewish Women’s Organizations of Cleveland. She also helped fund Cleveland College’s night classes for nontraditional students. In 1941, she received the Charles Eisenmann Award for outstanding community service.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Bertha Beitman Herzog." (Viewed on July 5, 2015) <http://jwa.org/people/herzog-bertha>.