Helen Miller Dalsheimer
Helen Miller Dalsheimer took on leadership roles both locally through her synagogue, the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, and on a national level. A Baltimore native, Dalsheimer raised her family in the same Reform congregation where she had grown up. From 1936–1944 she served as president of the temple sisterhood, starting programs like a Bible study group and interfaith dialogue. She was also president of the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods from 1953–1957, overseeing the creation of the Youth, Education, and Special Projects (YES) Fund, which gives financial aid to Reform institutions and to rabbinical and cantorial students. She was the first woman president of a community center, the Baltimore YM–YWHA, from 1947–1950 and of the World Federation of YMHAs and Community Centers in 1965. She was also the first Jewish woman on the board of the Women’s Hospital of Baltimore, serving in various roles from 1939–1958. In 1956 she became president of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, serving for three years, and in 1962, she was elected honorary president for life, only the second time that honor had been given in the 132-year history of the congregation.
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Helen Miller Dalsheimer." (Viewed on June 28, 2016) <http://jwa.org/people/dalsheimer-helen>.