Jewish Women on the Map - Neighbourhood House
The National Council of Jewish Women was founded in 1924. The council operated out of their Neighbourhood House which can still be found in the heart of the Strathcona district of Vancouver.
The mandate of the National Council of Jewish Women included educational and social programs. Their Neighbourhood house held English classes for newcomers, a children’s summer camp and had library facilities. In 1927 the Council added the Well Baby Clinic to their offerings.
The Well Baby Clinic included a dental department and operated two days a week with a volunteer, Dr. Davies. The clinic was run by the Council for eleven years and because it was so successful it was incorporated into the Metropolitan Health Service of the city.
The Neighbourhood House was the forerunner to the Jewish Community Centre and the house closed shortly after the Jewish Community Centre opened in 1928.
Photo Caption: Well Baby Clinic Committee, 1936. Source: B.C. Archives (HP057098).
Image copyright of Jewish Museum and Archives of BC