Jewish Women on the Map - The Maxine F. Singer building
The Maxine F. Singer building, completed in 2005, is on the Johns Hopkins Campus but belongs to, and was built by, the Carnegie Institution of Washington. It houses the Department of Embryology of the Carnegie Institution, which has been at Hopkins since it was founded in 1914. The science that is going on there remains quite remarkable including some of the very best work on stem cells.
Maxine F. Singer, a leading biochemistry researcher and advocate of science education, led the Carnegie Institute until 2002. The President of the United States recognized Maxine Singer's important contributions to biochemistry and molecular biology, her leadership of the Carnegie Institute and her science education initatives, by awarding her the National Medal of Science “for her outstanding scientific accomplishments and her deep concern for the societal responsibility of the scientist” in 1992.
Learn more about Maxine Singer in Jewish Women: A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia.
Photo of the building courtesy of the Johns Hopkins University website: http://webapps.jhu.edu/jhuniverse/tour/carnegie.html.
Photo of Maxine Singer courtesy of the Carnegie Institution: http://jwa.org/media/singer-maxine-still-image.