Jewish Women on the Map - Hebrew Literary Society founded by Hennrietta Szold
On North Gay Street near its intersection with North Front Street, Henrietta Szold founded the Hebrew Literary Society and its educational programs to teach English to Russian Jewish immigrants in November 1889. As the school's superintendent, fundraiser and one of its teachers, she had (according to a contemporary article in the Philadelphia Jewish Exponent) surrounded herself with teachers "whom she has made thoroughly conversant with her masterful manner of teaching English to Russo-Jewish immigrants, and in the sympathetic manner of engaging their undivided attention so as to develop in them an appreciation of American ideals."
in 1893, she left Baltimore for Philadelphia to serve as the secretary and first paid employee of the Jewish Publication Society (JPS). Szold had been elected as the only female member of the JPS publication committee when the organization was founded in 1888 in order to provide a steady series of substantive works of Jewish culture to an American audience.
See also: Henrietta Szold in Women of Valor; Henrietta Szold in Jewish Women: A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia; and "Henrietta Szold helps to create American Jewish culture" in This Week in History.