- Initial assessment/review: Who wrote this article? When? For what purpose and what audience?
- Based on what you've read, what is his point of view on the Skipwith decision? What matters to him about this case?
- Based on what you know from his article, why does Hicks think that the situation is worse in the North than in the South? Do you agree or disagree with Hicks? Why?
- What do you think the experience of segregation meant to the people who lived in the North and the South? How do you think the lives of African Americans were different?
- What did you learn about James L. Hicks' background from the document and/or from additional reading? How, if at all do you think this background might have informed his point of view? What else do you wish you knew about him?
How to cite this page
Jewish Women's Archive. "Discussion Questions." (Viewed on October 21, 2016) <http://jwa.org/node/11817/lightbox2>.