Sharing Stories Inspiring Change

Share

Clara-de-Hirsch-Home - still image

Clara-de-Hirsch-Home - still image

The Clara de Hirsch Home for Working Girls was one of several charitable organizations established by “uptown,” primarily German, Jews, on behalf of their "downtown" Eastern European immigrant co-religionists. It was founded in 1897 with the mandate to “improve [young immigrant women's] mental, moral and physical condition, and train them for self-support.”

Institution: 92nd Street Y, New York City

Related content:

How to cite this page

Jewish Women's Archive. "Clara-de-Hirsch-Home - still image." (Viewed on April 16, 2014) <http://jwa.org/media/clara-de-hirsch-home-still-image>.