Regina D. Stroock
Born in New York City, in 1875, to a life of privilege, Regina Stroock parlayed her talents and wealth into a career of philanthropy and civic leadership. The daughter of jeweler Jacob Dreicer, Stroock graduated from Barnard College. She married Maurice C. Sternbach, son of the founder of Herman and Sternbach, a dry-goods concern, who died in 1924. In 1927, she married her second husband Joseph Stroock, president and chief executive officer of S. Stroock and Company, a successful woolen mills and goods enterprise.
Active in Jewish and in New York City philanthropy, Stroock was a member and one-time chair of the Women’s Division of the Joint Distribution Committee and National Refugee Service. She was also the honorary chair of the Women’s Divisions of both the New York and the Brooklyn Federations of Jewish Charities. For many years, she devoted herself to helping young people, as a member of the board of the Hebrew Orphan Asylum and its successor, the Jewish Child Care Association of New York City. Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia appointed her to the board of the Children’s Center of New York. In 1933, Stroock founded the Girls Home Club, a residence for working girls. She also began a boys’ home, which did not succeed. A tireless worker, Stroock was involved in many fund-raising campaigns for the American Red Cross.
The mother of Maurice C. Dreicer and stepmother of Stephen J. Stroock, Regina Stroock died on August 15, 1948, in Scarsdale, New York.
EJ, s.v. “Stroock”; NYTimes, August 15, 1948, 60:2.
How to cite this page
Rosen, Judith Friedman. "Regina D. Stroock." Jewish Women: A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia. 1 March 2009. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on June 26, 2016) <http://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/stroock-regina-d>.