May 18, 2011
Mid-May link roundup
- Israeli parents name their daughter “Like” after Facebook feature. Still, I’m more worried about their other daughter named “Pie” after the dessert
- Sluts Don’t Cause Rape; Rapists Do - More on Slutwalks from Sarah Seltzer at Alternet
- Marjorie Ingall argues that standardized testing is not only plaguing our schools, driving us to cheat, and making our children sick; it’s completely antithetical to Jewish values
- Stephen Colbert covers Der Tzeitung’s photoshop incident
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former head of the International Monetary Fund and (until this weekend) the leading candidate for next year’s French presidential elections, allegedly raped a Manhattan hotel maid. Tablet argues this is bad for the Jews. Jewlicious reminds us that in a country that supports Roman Polansky, this incidenct might not hurt his reputation as much as one might think. Elissa Straus of the Sisterhood wonders, what’s to blame for the prevalence of sexual assault?
- Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords to undergo surgery while her husband is in space
- New York Times profiles Bel Kaufman, 100 years old and still going strong
- Do geeks grow up to be better adults?
- Storahtelling, a ritual theatre company focusing on bringing the Torah to wider audiences, celebrates its “b mitzvah” at 13 years, via Interfaith Family and Jewschool
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Mid-May link roundup." 18 May 2011. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on February 26, 2015) <http://jwa.org/blog/mid-may-link-roundup>.