Mazel tov to Elena Kagan, Supreme Court nominee!
We at the Jewish Women's Archive were thrilled to watch President Obama officially nominate Elena Kagan to the United States Supreme Court. If confirmed, she would be the third woman on the Supreme Court and the fourth woman Supreme Court Justice in American history! She would also join Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the second Jewish woman on the court.
The internet is blowing up with articles and blog posts about the nomination, so in order to help sort through the chaos, here are some pieces worth looking at.
- Obama Picks Kagan as Justice Nominee [New York Times]
- Milestones: Elena Kagan's timeline [New York Times]
- Holding Court: What You Need To Know About Elena Kagan [Jezebel]
- A Climb Marked by Confidence and Canniness [New York Times]
- Myths and falsehoods about Elena Kagan's Supreme Court nomination [Media Matters]
- Statement of Nancy Keenan, President of NARAL Pro-Choice America, on the Nomination of Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the U.S. Supreme Court [NARAL]
- Elana Kagan's Response to Supreme Court Nomination (video) [Feministing]
In a less serious piece, Gawker gives a quick and dirty run-down of how people will feel about Obama's pick based on their general affiliations.
- Elena Kagan Is Obama's Supreme Court Nominee. Should You Like Her? [Gawker]
It's going to be interesting to see which issues arise during her confirmation hearings, especially in the wake of Justice Sotomayor's "wise Latina" hulabaloo. Will Elena Kagan's hearing be mired in personal politics? Will her Jewish identity or the speculation about her sexual orientation frame the discussion, or will we stick to questions of experience and qualification for the job at hand?
We're going to keep reading. If you come across any other interestng articles about Elena Kagan's nomination, please share them with us!
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Mazel tov to Elena Kagan, Supreme Court nominee!." 10 May 2010. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on August 1, 2015) <http://jwa.org/blog/mazel-tov-elena-kagan>.