Hillary Clinton takes a stand - Link Roundup Aug 14, 2009
Everyday I encounter a number of interesting websites, articles, and blog posts that are definitely worth mentioning. I hope you find these as interesting as I do!
- Don't kiss the mezuzah! You could be spreading swine flu! [JTA]
- Orthodox women choosing natural childbirth [The Sisterhood]
- 'Family Guy' creator Seth MacFarlane outs Stewie (the baby) as gay, and announces that this season Lois (the mother) will discover she is actually Jewish. [NYDailyNews] Will this be received better than the controversial "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein" episode Fox refused to air in 2000?
- New trend: Havdalah Bar and Bat Mitzvot. [Tablet] It might not be for everyone, but I think we can all agree it's better than that other Bar Mitzvah trend we've been hearing so much about...
- The "smart, scrupulous, sultry Jewess" on 'Mad Men' [The Sisterhood]
- "Hillary Fights a Tide of Trivialization" by Judith Warner [New York Times]
Warner's piece is an excellent response to the recent incident when an African reporter asked Hillary to explain what Bill thought about the World Bank interference with Chinese contracts in the Congo. Below is the clip of her reaction.
Not surprisingly, it is being reported as an "outburst," and it is fueling some pretty nasty and terrifying anti-women sentiments. Don't believe me? Check out the comments about the video on YouTube calling Clinton a "bitch" or an "angry lesbian," or criticizing her outfit and lack of makeup. It is clear that we still have a long way to go before women are taken seriously in politics, or anywhere else.