Orthodox divorce, Jewish rednecks, and a sad note on Tel Aviv - Link Roundup Aug 3, 2009
Everyday I encounter a number of interesting websites, articles, and blog posts that are definitely worth mentioning. I hope you find these as interesting as I do!
- Orthodox Jewish women unable to get 'real' divorces from their husbands. [The Independent]
- A Jewish Redneck? An American ex-pat living in Israel discusses her nostalgia for redneck culture. (I can relate.) [via Jewlicious]
- An interesting post on the diversity of the global Jewish community. [Velveteen Rabbi]
- Madonna discusses her experience with Kabbalah. Superficial? JTA thinks so. [ynet.com via JTA]
- Should 'So You Think You Can Dance' be more gender progressive? [Bust Magazine]
- New census to include gay marriages! [TaskForce]
I also could not post today without mentioning the horrible shooting in Tel Aviv, in which a gunman opened fire at a LGBT youth center. I am stunned by this attack, and it has really reminded me that the happy, progressive bubble I inhabit in Massachusetts does not always reflect our national or global reality. I am reminded of the work left to be done to fight hate, intolerance, and violence towards the LGBT (and Q and I) community. My heart goes out to mourners in Tel Aviv and around the globe.
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Orthodox divorce, Jewish rednecks, and a sad note on Tel Aviv - Link Roundup Aug 3, 2009." 3 August 2009. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on February 1, 2015) <http://jwa.org/blog/dlr8-03-09>.