Women's jeans, Jewish comedians "Making Trouble," and revisiting Anne Frank - Link Roundup Oct 5, 2009
- October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Check out the blog of Jewish Women International where survivors are sharing stories and inspiring change. [JWI]
- It's the 75th anniversary of women's jeans, according to Levis. The history of women's jeans is juicy, so check the archives to read about boyfriend trousers and Jewess jeans. [Feministe]
- Newest SNL cast member (and Jewess) Jenny Slate accidentally says the F-word live. Like many Jewish women comedians, Jenny Slate is "Making Trouble." [Heeb]
- On that note, Making Trouble, the film about legendary Jewish women comedians, is now available for purchase on DVD from our website, www.makingtrouble.com.
- Coco the Collaborator? Gabrielle Birkner of the Forward discusses Coco Chanel's Nazi ties during the occupation of Paris, omitted from Anne Fontaine’s new film, "Coco Before Chanel." [Forward]
- Women officially make up half of the nation's workforce. [Feministing] Casey Mulligan of the New York Times explains this to be an anomaly of the "mancession." [New York Times]
- G-d is apparently leaving passive aggressive notes on shul refrigerators. Hmm... [My Jewish Learning]
- Eve Ensler, author of The Vagina Monologues, speaks her mind on the Roman Polanski rape case and those in the film industry defending him, asking "Does the brotherhood of fame endow you with a lifetime exemption from accountability?" [Huffington Post] For a list of other big name people supporting Polanski's arrest and extradition, click here.
Francine Prose's Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife has got people rethinking this well-known diary of a teenage Jewish girl during the Holocaust, teaching us there is always more to learn.
- The Anne Frank House Museum has posted video footage of Anne Frank on her very own Youtube channel. [JTA] [Tablet]
- Podcast: Francine Prose, author of Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife, talks about Frank's overlooked writing talent. [Tablet]
- The Forward reviews Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife. Also includes a video clip of the original Meyer Levin adaptation of Anne Frank’s diary and an interview with the play’s producer, Jennifer Strome. [Forward]
How to cite this page
Berkenwald, Leah. "Women's jeans, Jewish comedians "Making Trouble," and revisiting Anne Frank - Link Roundup Oct 5, 2009." 5 October 2009. Jewish Women's Archive. (Viewed on April 18, 2015) <http://jwa.org/blog/dlr10-5-09>.