She was a walking contradiction:
- A woman who wasn't classically maternal, but who EVERYONE called "Mother," even her co-workers at the Bon who were OLDER than she.
- An original women's libber who could walk into any CEO's office and demand a donation for her cause but couldn't for the life of her sew on a button or ride a bike (but who DID TRY to drive when my dad was in Korea).
- A VERY public figure with a very PRIVATE life – she NEVER wanted to bask in the limelight of communal recognition.
- A giver of generous-spirit, both with time and money…
- A no-nonsense woman who loved talking baby-talk with her grandchildren Donald, Becky, Jake, and Zach and who REVELLED in the fact that she lived to be a great grandmother to Chloe.
- A person who could care for BOTH the macro, bleeding crowd, AND the MICRO... her kids, Aunt Bev (the sister she loved so much who she always invited on our summer vacations), Sunny, my dad...